Baked Beans with Tomatoes
There something so “down home” about baked beans. This recipe is a slow cooking recipe that melds the flavors into a rich, delicious baked bean dish that the whole family will love.
- 16 oz. can of pinto beans, rinsed
- 2 tbsp. vegetable cooking oil
- 1 chopped dried hot red chili pepper (all of it is very hot – I use 1/4 of it for enough heat to light me up)
- 2 chopped onions (medium sized)
- 3 cloves of minced garlic (large cloves)
- 2 chopped red bell peppers
- 2 tsp paprika
- 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (hold back a couple of sprigs for garnish)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
1) Bring the oven to temperature at 300 degrees.
2) Over medium heat cook the onions in the vegetable oil n a large sauté pan, until they are just starting to brown.
3) Add the garlic, chopped red peppers and a pinch of salt.
4) Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the peppers are soft, tender, and fragrant.
5) Add the tomatoes, paprika and tomato paste and stir, cooking over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
6) Add the beans to the mixture and the freshly chopped cilantro and blend the ingredients.
7) Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
8) Put the beans in the oven for 40 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and thick.
9) Remove from the oven and garnish with cilantro and serve.